This healthy baked fish recipe brings together the best flavors from the Mediterranean. It is a simple recipe the whole family will love!
Julian and I got this beautiful fillet of halibut from our local market. It is always such a treat being able to cook with such incredible fresh local ingredients. I wanted to give this fish a Mediterranean flavor but to keep it simple. Such an incredible piece of fish should be the star of the meal! The result was this simple recipe that evokes the flavors of the Mediterranean. We loved having this dinner on our balcony while sipping some crisp white wine. It uses some classic staple ingredients from the Mediterranean diet and I am definitely here for it!
This will surely become one of your favorite fish recipes. One of my favorite things about this succulent white fish recipe is how easy it is to up your vegetable intake. Typical of many Mediterranean recipes, this recipe is full of fresh vegetables which gives it life and vibrance!
What Ingredients will I Need to Make Healthy Mediterranean Baked Fish?
This recipe is a fantastic Mediterranean dish that uses simple fresh ingredients that is one of my favorite healthy meals! While the full recipe details are available below, here is a breakdown of the ingredients you will need to make this healthy dinner.
- Red onion
- Whole garlic cloves
- Ten ounces cherry tomatoes
- Sliced mushrooms
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh lemon wedges
- Fresh halibut or another mild white fish such as sea bass
- Dried oregano
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- Black olives or Kalamata olives
- Feta cheese (I usually use goat’s milk feta)
Some other great ingredients you could add to this healthy dish includes artichoke hearts, fresh thyme leaves, or fresh basil if you have them on hand!
How to Prepare Healthy Mediterranean Baked Fish
While the full recipe instructions are available below, here are some tips to consider when preparing this Mediterranean baked fish recipe.
- First, we will prepare our vegetables. In a large bowl, toss together your red onion, fresh tomatoes, whole cloves garlic, and mushrooms in olive oil until evenly coated. Spread the veggies in a shallow baking dish and place the lemon slices in the dish as well. Place in a preheated oven to cook for approximately ten minutes while we prepare our fresh fish.
- While the veggies cook, whisk together a little more olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Take your white fish fillet and dry it with a paper towel. Brush the olive oil mixture over the fish to coat it evenly. Remove the baking dish from the oven and place fish on top of the veggies. Sprinkle olives and feta cheese on top of the fish. Bake in the oven for approximately ten to twelve minutes. Broil for another two to three and remove once the fish flakes easily at the thickest part of the fish.
Serve your fish dinner over a bed of rice, top with chopped fresh parsley and enjoy!
Other Mediterranean Recipes You Might Like
If you loved this recipe and are looking for an easy way to incorporate more Mediterranean flavors into your diet, here are some suggestions for you!
- Mediterranean Shrimp Bowls
- Greek Style Tuna Salad
- Olive and Goat Cheese Salmon
- Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Creamy Greek Tzatziki
- Great Grandma’s Greek Meatballs
- Greek Style Lemon Potatoes
- Easy Skillet Greek Lemon Chicken
This healthy baked fish recipe brings together the best flavors from the Mediterranean. It is a simple recipe everyone will love!
- 1 cup red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, whole (papery shells removed)
- 10 oz cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil, separated
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 lb halibut fillets or another mild white fish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 125ml black olives, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp feta cheese (I use goat’s milk feta)
- chopped fresh parsley, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425F. In a medium mixing bowl, toss together the red onion, garlic cloves, tomatoes, and mushrooms with the tablespoon of olive oil and a sprinkle of Kosher salt and pepper until well coated. Spread the veggies over a baking dish. Top with lemon slices. Place in the oven and cook for approximately 10 minutes while you prepare your fish.
- While the veggies cook, blot your fish fillets with a paper towel to dry. Whisk together the remaining teaspoon olive oil with the oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Spread the olive oil mixture evenly over the fish. Pull the baking dish from the oven and carefully place the fish over the veggies, keeping in mind the pan will be very hot! Place back in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Switch the oven to broil for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the oven. The fish is ready when it flakes easily at the thickest part of the fish.
- Top with chopped fresh parsley and serve over a bed of rice or your favorite potatoes. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/4 yield
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 22g
- Sodium: 2744mg
- Fat: 64g
- Saturated Fat: 36g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 64g
- Cholesterol: 209mg
Keywords: Mediterranean Fish, Mediterranean Baked Fish, Easy Fish, White Fish, Weeknight Dinners, Easy Dinners, Quick Dinners, Date Night Dinners
The nutrition information provided is an estimate generated using a third party online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for professional advice.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you will not pay more, but we will get a small commission. Thanks!
Show me how this recipe worked for you. Tag @scrambledandscrumptious in your version of this dish for a chance to be featured on Instagram!