Mediterranean shrimp bowls are the perfect weeknight meal. They are healthy, come together quickly, and make plenty for leftovers!
Julian and I are looking to cook healthier meals lately. I made a quick meal with plenty of clean ingredients and experimented with flavors from the Mediterranean. The chickpeas, olives, tzatziki, and spices in this meal come together to create a meal that like it shouldn’t be healthy!
How to Make the Best Mediterranean Shrimp Bowls
While the full recipe instructions are available below, here are some tips to make the tastiest healthy bowl.
- Shrimp: I love using shrimp in my cooking because it is a lean source of protein. Frozen shrimp is also very easy to thaw, so I try to keep s package of them in my freezer at all times. This strategy keep you prepared so you can make a quick meal in a pinch!
- Spices: in this recipe, I used this spice blend. You can make this spice blend, and keep any leftovers of it in an airtight container for two to three months. You can also create your own blend of Mediterranean style spices. The key spices to use in this meal include dried oregano and a small amount of cinnamon. The cinnamon is important because it adds a hint of sweetness found in some Mediterranean dishes. It takes the flavoring of this meal to a whole other level!
- Tzatziki: I recommend topping your bowl with some creamy Greek tzatziki. While I prefer the taste and healthy ingredients in my home made tzatziki, you can also use tzatziki from the store to top your bowl. Another alternative is to use my roasted garlic hummus. You can also use store bought hummus as an alternative. Mix your hummus or tzatziki into your prepared bowl and enjoy!
Mediterranean shrimp bowls are the perfect weeknight meal. They are healthy, come together super quickly, and make plenty for leftovers!
- 1 cup, brown basmati rice, dry
- 1lb shrimp
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Mediterranean spice mix
- 1/2 white onion, diced (approximately 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch broccolini, chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1 can chickpeas (398ml), drained and rinsed
- 1 small can sliced black olives (200ml), drained
- 1 cup lettuce, sliced
- 4 tbsp tzatziki, for serving
- Cook brown basmati rice according to package instructions. In a medium mixing bowl, add shrimp and Mediterranean spice mix. Toss the shrimp until evenly coated with the spice mixture.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium-high. Add olive oil, onions and garlic. Cook until onions are soft, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add grape tomatoes and broccolini to the skillet and cook until the tomatoes start to go soft, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp to the skillet and cook until it turns pink and is no longer opaque, approximately 3 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cooked brown basmati rice, contents of the skillet, chickpeas, olives, and lettuce. Toss to combine the ingredients in the bowl. Scoop evenly into bowls, top with tzatziki and serve.
- This meal is also great using leftovers for lunch! Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of yield
- Calories: 338
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 1026mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 27g
- Cholesterol: 154mg
Keywords: Shrimp Bowl, Mediterranean Bowl, Mediterranean Shrimp Bowls
The nutrition information provided is an estimate generated using a third party online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for professional advice.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you will not pay more, but we will get a small commission. Thanks!
Show me how this recipe worked for you. Tag @scrambledandscrumptious in your version of this dish for a chance to be featured on Instagram!