When I know I am going to be busy, I love to prepare a big batch of these turkey breakfast taquitos for an easy meal on the go!
At times where I know I am going to be busy, I like to make a big batch of breakfasts that I can freeze and grab on-the-go. Breakfast taquitos are great for this because they make a huge batch and I can reheat them with little effort. These taquitos are also easy for a student to prepare and save for a quick breakfast or snack between classes. They are also great because they sneak in veggies for any picky eaters!
What are Breakfast Taquitos?
Breakfast taquitos are like the smaller cousin to breakfast burritos. They use smaller corn tortillas and have a filling rolled into center of each tortilla for a great little meal that is great for busy mornings! I love to meal prep these for a wholesome make-ahead breakfast when I know I have a busy stretch ahead of me. They are so easy to pop out of the freezer, microwave and be off on your day! these would also be great to give your kids as an after school snack.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST TURKEY BREAKFAST TAQUITOS
While the full step by step directions for this recipe are available below, see some tips here to make the best baked taquitos!
- First, we will preheat our oven to 400 degrees F. We also need to prepare our sheet pan. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with olive oil. This is important, because it will help crisp the outside of your tortillas! I recommend using corn tortillas for this recipe, although you could use flour tortillas.
- Next, we will prepare our filling. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. You will cook your garlic until it is fragrant, then you will add your fresh jalapeno and tomato. The tomato will start to breakdown and dissolve into the mixture. That is when you will add your ground turkey! Break it apart with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Turkey breakfast sausage broken up out of the casing would also be great here. As your turkey cooks, you will also add your taco seasoning spices. In this recipe, we use cumin, chili powder, and ground chipotle chili. To finish your filling, add your cilantro and beaten eggs and cook until the eggs are firm.
- Finally, we will put our taquitos together. I use the small taco size for my taquitos, however you could use a larger size if you prefer. They will simply need a little longer to cook in the oven. To assemble our taquitos, heat your tortilla in the microwave for a few seconds. Place it on your work surface and add approximately 1/8 to 1/4 cup egg mixture, and cheese. Roll tortilla and place seam side down on your prepared baking sheet. Cover with a damp towel until you’ve rolled all of your taquitos. Spray the tops of the taquitos with olive oil and bake in the oven.
What to Serve with Your Breakfast Taquitos
I love to have my breakfast taquitos with a hot cup of coffee, some fresh fruit, and salsa verde. Other great accompaniments for your breakfast includes light sour cream and green onions, or sautéed red bell pepper.
How to Store Leftovers
These are a great meal to prepare in advance for the whole family. If I am planning on having them in the next couple of days, I will cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge. I’ll microwave for a couple of minutes before I eat them. If I am planning to store them for longer, I will let the taquitos cool completely and then wrap two together for one serving size. I will then place the individual servings into a large freezer bag. This will help keep them from going freezer burnt. I will also microwave them to reheat, but it will take a few minutes longer from frozen.
Other Breakfasts On the Go
Looking for other healthy and delicious breakfast recipes for when you’re on the go? Check these recipes out!
- Mixed berry overnight oats
- Mom’s citrus bran loaf
- Spinach and Feta Breakfast Wraps
- Turkey Sausage Egg Cups
- Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins
With school restarting, meal prep is going to be key again! Make a batch of turkey breakfast taquitos for healthy quick breakfasts on the go!
For the Filling:
- 1 tsp olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1/2 of a small onion (approximately 2/3 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 jalapeno, minced (approximately 4 tbsp)
- 1 tomato, chopped (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground chipotle chili
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 18 tortillas
- 1 + 1/8 cup Tex Mex grated cheese (18 tbsp)
- 2–3 sprays of avocado oil spray
- salt (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with oil.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on high. Add olive oil, onion, and garlic and cook until soft, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add jalapeno and tomato, cook until the tomato starts to break apart and dissolve into the mixture, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the turkey, cumin, chili, and chipotle and cook until the turkey is cooked through, using a wooden spoon to break the turkey into small pieces. This will take approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and beaten eggs to the mixture and cook until the eggs are cooked through, approximately 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat tortillas for 10 to 15 seconds in the microwave before working with them – I recommend working with 2 to 3 at a time. While the tortilla is warm, add 1 to 2 heaping spoonfuls of the filling and 1 tbsp of cheese in a strip. Roll the tortilla and place on the baking sheet seam side down.
- Spray the rolled taquitos with avocado oil and sprinkle with salt, to taste. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crispy. Serve immediately or freeze for the future.
- To freeze to eat later, I recommend letting the taquitos cool completely before putting them in the freezer. I usually bag them in 2 taquito servings before freezing for quick and easy grab and go packages when I am in a rush! These can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Serving Size: 2 taquitos
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 138mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 15g
- Cholesterol: 163mg
Keywords: Taquitos, Mexican, Tex Mex, Breakfast, Breakfast Taquitos, Turkey Breakfast Taquitos
The nutrition information provided is an estimate generated using a third party online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for professional advice.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy something through one of those links, you will not pay more, but we will get a small commission. Thanks!
Show me how this recipe worked for you. Tag @scrambledandscrumptious in your version of this dish for a chance to be featured on Instagram!