This Trinidadian style curry chicken uses homemade green seasoning to make a flavorful curry paste. A traditional Trinidad recipe, this meal is easy and delicious!
- 1 cup white onion, roughly chopped (approx. 1 medium)
- 1 inch piece of ginger, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 habanero or scotch bonnet pepper, seeds removed for less spice
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- Add onion, ginger, garlic, cilantro, and pepper to a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add curry powder and salt to the food processor and run on high until well combined and a curry paste is formed. In a medium mixing bowl, coat the chicken thighs evenly with the curry paste. You can let this marinade for an hour, or cook immediately.
- Heat a deep non-stick skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add the chicken and all of the curry paste to the skillet. Let the chicken sear on each side, approximately 3 to 5 minutes per side. Add chicken or water to the skillet to deglaze the pan and use a wooden spoon to remove any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and let the sauce simmer down until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 5-10 minutes. You chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165F and its juices run clear. Serve over a bed of rice or with roti. Enjoy!
- This is great the next day! Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 to 5 days and microwave to reheat.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of yield
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 373mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 17g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
Keywords: Trinidad Curry Chicken, Trinidadian Curried Chicken, Easy Chicken Dinners, Skillet Dinners, Skillet Meals, Easy Weeknight Dinners, Weeknight Dinners, Quick Meals, Date Night Dinner, Trinidadian Cuisine